MyCouncil®  |  Cart (0)  |  Sign In

Tour Plan Guidelines and Procedure

The tour and activity plan is a planning tool for best practices to be prepared for safe and fun adventure. Completing the plan may not address all possible challenges, but it can help ensure that appropriate planning has been conducted, that qualified and trained leadership is in place, and that the right equipment is available for the adventure.

In addition, the plan helps to organize safe and appropriate transportation to and from an event, and defines driver qualifications and minimum limits of insurance coverage for drivers and vehicles used to transport participants.

Please complete and submit this plan at least two weeks in advance of your trip to ensure the council has enough time to review the plan and assist as necessary.
Times when a tour and activity plan must be submitted for council review include the following:

  • All trips outside of council borders (Miami, Shelby, Darke, Preble or Montgomery counties)
  • Trips to Florida Sea Base, Northern Tier, Philmont Scout Ranch, Summit Bechtel Reserve (you will be asked to present a copy of  your tour and activity plan upon arrival), National Scout Jamboree, National Order of the Arrow Conference, or a regionally sponsored event; or
  • When conducting any of the following activities outside of council or district events:
    • Aquatics activities (swimming, boating, floating, scuba, etc.)
    • Climbing and rappelling
    • Orientation flights (process flying plan in addition to Tour Plan)
    • Shooting sports
    • Any activities involving motorized vehicles as part of the program (snowmobiles, boating, etc.); or
    • All Cub Scout overnight camping not organized by the district or council.

Regardless of being required or not, the tour and activity plan is an excellent tool that should be included in preparation for all activities, even those not requiring it. It guides a tour leader through itineraries, travel arrangements, two-deep leadership, supervision qualifications, and transportation.

To submit your Tour Plan, log in to your account at and select the tour and activity plan under your “Unit Tool.”

There a training program to show me how to complete the tour and activity plan online. You can watch this interactive video if you are have questions. Watch video now. (Download video)

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact a Customer Service Representative at 937-278-4825

Download:  Miami Valley Council Tour Plan Guidelines and Procedure (PDF)

Tour Plan Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What if my trip or activity is as a council contingent or is an OA activity?
A. Contingent planners can record the plan under his or her primary unit affiliation and council, adding in other adult leadership as needed.

Q. Why can’t I see tour and activity plans on my MyScouting account?
A. The most common reason for not seeing tour and activity plans in your MyScouting account is that your member ID is not attached to your MyScouting account profile. Locate your membership ID number, go to and log in to your account, click on edit profile, enter your ID number into your profile. With your membership number associated with your profile you should gain access to the Tour Plan feature.

A second common reason is that your registration (position code) does not support the permission for the application. The application is not available to individuals registered only as merit badge counselors, Scout parents, or Tiger Cub adult partners. Please contact your unit leadership if you would like to update your unit position. Click here for a list of unit positions with tour and activity plan access. 

Q. Some locations require a “permit” to take with us. What do we take?
A. You can print a tour and activity plan summary at the end of your submission. Copies can be made if needed for your unit, emergency contact, parents, etc.

Q. What materials do I need to complete the online version?
A. You will need the following:

  • Leadership contact information
  • Vehicle information
  • Description of the activity
  • Travel itinerary

Q. Is planning and preparing for Hazardous Weather training required for all tours?
A. Yes, it has been required for all tours since Jan. 1, 2009. It should be repeated every two years and is appropriate for not only adults, but Boy Scout-aged youth as well. You can complete Hazardous Weather training online through under the e-learning option.

Q. Should we use parental permission forms from parents?
A. The Activity Consent Form and Approval by Parents or Guardian is an appropriate resource and recommended for us.

Q. Do I need anything else if we are going on a discovery flight?
A. Yes, please complete the Flying Plan Application along with an Activity Consent Form and Approval by Parents or Guardian (for each participant).

Q. With whom do I discuss why we are required to have certain training before we do certain activities?
A. We suggest that program and qualified supervision requirements be discussed with your unit leadership, unit commissioner, district commissioner, or district executive—in that order. The tour and activity plan does not set these requirements, policies, or guidelines; it is a tool to help unit leadership identify qualified supervision requirements for the planned program. The Guide to Safe Scouting is a good compendium of information to start your research with as well. In contains information on training such as Safety Afloat, Safe Swim Defense, and Climb On Safely.

Q. What should I tell the parents in my unit, who always question why they have to furnish insurance or driver information for their vehicles?
A. We suggest that you review the Scouting Safely alert on insurance information . For auto liability, the coverage provided by Scouting is secondary when those non-owned vehicles are used for an official Scouting activity. We get many reports that parents want to exclude their information since they are transporting their own children to and from an event. Recognize that in this scenario, the official Scouting activity for those youth and their parents would not start until arrival at the location and would end when they left the location; their travel is not an official Scouting activity.

Q. What kind of insurance coverage does the BSA provide for the Scouting program?
A. We suggest that you review the Scouting Safely alert on insurance information.

Q. Do we really need an Annual Health and Medical Record, No. 680-001, for all participants?
A. Yes, and while this is a frequently asked question, it is not a new policy. Information on the Annual Health and Medical Record, including FAQs, can be found at this link. Download the Annual Health and Medical Record.

Q. What should be included in the emergency roadside kit?
A. The type of emergency roadside kit needed can vary depending on, for example, where you live, where the unit is traveling to/from, or the season (summer, winter). An emergency roadside kit may include items such as a reflective safety vest, tire jack and lug wrench, jumper cables, emergency flares, triangle reflective warning signs, fire extinguisher, flashlight with extra batteries, shovel, work gloves, space blanket, bottled water, whistle, basic tools (e.g., wrenches, multitip screwdrivers, and pliers), and a utility knife. You may choose to build your own emergency roadside kit or purchase one from a local general or hardware store.

Q. We don’t know who the commercial carrier or charter bus driver will be for our trip, so what do we enter for driver and insurance information?
A. Enter the name of the company and make sure the commercial carrier provides you with proof of insurance: $5 million CSL for 16 or more passengers or at least $1.5 million CSL for vehicles designed to transport nine to 15 passengers. It is not expected that this information will be furnished for commercial airline transportation.


Updated:  1/8/2014

CONTACT US  |  FAQ  |  LEGAL NOTICE  |  Copyright © 2018 Miami Valley Council
Contact Webmaster
Web Site Powered By ScoutTools