Incident Report Process & Insurance
All Miami Valley Council youth members and registered adult volunteers are covered by the BSA Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan for injuries or illnesses sustained on an official Scout outing. This insurance plan is administered by Health Special Risk Insurance and is in excess of any coverage provided by the injured Scout’s primary insurance.
Process to report incident or near incident:
1) Attend to any injured parties.
2) In the event of fatality or hospitilization, allegation of suspected sexual or non-sexual abuse, victimization of a Scout, transport to the ER in an emergency vehicle, a communicable disease outbreak or foodborne illness, vehicle accident, theft or damage with a $100,000 loss or any event that has media attention contact the Assistant Scout Executive immediatly. The Assistant Scout Executive can be reached at 937-369-0311. All other incidents should be reported to the District Executive where you unit is located.
3) Complete an Incident Report Form or Near Miss Report Form as appropriate. Follow the matrix to determine which form is required. The matrix is found on the first page of the incident report and near miss report form. Additional information about Incident Reports can be found at the Guide to Safe Scouting.
Incident Report Form
Near Miss Report Form
2) Complete Accident and Medical Insurance Claim Form and send to the Council Service Center for signature.
The Accident and Medical Insurance Claim form must be signed by a Miami Valley Council Representative prior to sending to the insurance company for processing. Signatures should be from the Accounting Specialist, Assistant Scout Executive, or Scout Executive. Missing signatures will result in a delay in claim processing.Accident and Medical Insurance Claim Form
Accident and Medical Insurance Policy Information
Accident and Illness Insurance Plan Booklet
Accident and Illness Insurance FAQ's
3) Once the Accident and Medical Insurance Claim form is approved all discussion about the injury is between the family and Health Special Risk Insurance.
For questions on the BSA Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan please refer to the following documents or contact Doug Nelson at 937-665-1064 or Doug.Nelson@MiamiValleyBSA.org, at the Miami Valley Council Service Center.